Rainbow Christian Preschool & Kindergarten
Children are precious. They need safe and caring environments where they can learn about the world, about their strengths and talents, and about how to get along with others. We opened our doors in September 1987 with a handful of children, a part-time staff, and a commitment to serving the needs of a diverse community. Since then our school has grown to include Nursery, Preschool, Universal PreK (UPK), and an after-school program for children ages 2 to 7. Still, our original mission has remained the same: to provide parents with a safe, loving and dependable place, where their children can discover the joy of learning and of community.
Rainbow Christian Preschool is:
- a mission of St. Jacobus Evangelical Lutheran Church (ELCA), an international church that has been welcoming people from all nations and of all races since 1867. For more information, visit www.st-jacobus.org.
- licensed by both the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and the Department of Education.
- accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
- open from 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. (closed only on major holidays). We offer full-time and part-time programs as well as the free 2½-hour UPK program.
- welcoming children from all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, or national and ethnic origin in the administration of our educational, admissions, staffing, or program policies.
The Rainbow Preschool accepts children as young as 2 years old (toilet-trained) and nurtures them until they enter kindergarten. The Rainbow After-School Program is designed to accommodate children from kindergarten to second grade from a public school across the street.
Rainbow Christian Preschool & Kindergarten provides a loving Christian atmosphere with a wide range of enriching and recreational activities to promote joy in learning and a positive self-image for every child.
Rainbow is a ministry of Saint Jacobus Evangelical Lutheran Church (ELCA), which is an international church and has been welcoming people from all nations and of all races since 1867. For more information, visit www.st-jacobus.org
Today there are nine classes of happy children and satisfied parents. We have a full-time director and a staff of 20, everyone highly qualified and trained for the work they perform.
Rainbow accepts children as young as two years old and nurtures them until kindergarten.
Our after-school program is designed to accommodate children up to second grade from a Public School across the street.
We are open year-round from 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., Monday to Friday, and close only on major holidays
At Rainbow Christian Preschool
“Teaching with Love” has been our motto since 1987. Rainbow children learn and play in a modern, spacious facility featuring bright, well-equipped, air-conditioned classrooms, a full-size indoor gymnasium, and a state-of-the-art private outdoor playground. Our student body represents the many nationalities living in our little corner of northwestern Queens, which makes our school a true rainbow of many colors.